Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Getting Real about Breastfeeding- It Hurts...Even When You do it Right!

I'm a big time breastfeeding advocate. Let's be clear. Breast is best always, and I think every woman should at least try to exclusively breastfeed. That said, I'm sick and tired of all the bogus claims going around that nursing doesn't hurt, and if it does, it's your fault.


I was given some La Leche League literature upon being discharged from the birth center after Ben was born. Everything I read said, breastfeeding shouldn't hurt. If it does, your baby is latched incorrectly, and you need to change that to avoid sore nipples.

I've done this twice now, and let me tell you, it hurts- EVEN IF BABY IS LATCHED PROPERLY! Maybe some women get away with not feeling any discomfort, but in my experience that is not the norm. This is what happens when you breastfeed.

  • Constant suckling on the nipple dries out the skin. This is a simple truth. The same way your lips become chapped if you lick them too often. It drains the moisture. Heavy application of Lansinoh cream can help, but it will not solve the problem. No matter how perfectly baby is latched, you're still drying out the skin- no avoiding it.
  • Dry skin leads to cracking and/or bleeding. My nipples were cracked and bloody for both of my boys.
No big surprise, dry cracked nipples are sore nipples. It hurts while baby latches on, and while baby nurses. I made sure to do everything right with this most recent experience. Ben nursed tummy to tummy, had as much of the areola in his mouth as possible, lower lip pouted/good tongue action, with his chin massaging the breast with the jaw action. I could hear him swallowing, and I knew he was well latched. Didn't matter.

A week after his birth, the soreness began. My nipples began peeling. I liberally slathered on the Lansinoh. I'd cry, blubbering to my husband who wished so much to help. I looked at my little boy nursing so eagerly, clenched my fists and tried to find a happy place. Nipples continued to dry, and cracking began during the 2nd week. Soon a little blood began coming out with the milk. By week 3-4, the nipples were beginning to toughen, and scabs appeared. This was gross, as Ben would be nursing, and start coughing as a scab came off into his mouth- yuck! Nursing still hurt, but the pain was beginning to decrease. The latching process hurt, but the pain eased as he began suckling. By week 5, the scabs were gone, and nursing was no longer gross or particularly uncomfortable. It's been great ever since. Ben is 4 months old and still exclusively breastfed.

I advocate breastfeeding, but I don't approve of women being lied to about it. Moms try breastfeeding, can't manage to "do it right," become discouraged because it's not supposed to hurt, and quit. They think they're the only ones going through the misery of the first few weeks. First timers don't have a light at the end of the tunnel. They don't know that they're only a week or 2 away from pain free nursing.

Why can't we be honest with moms?! Yea, it might hurt like hell. But that's normal and will improve sometime in the first 6 weeks or so. You're normal for feeling pain. You're not doing anything wrong. You're giving your baby the best nutrition possible. So, white knuckle grip that Boppy pillow and power through. Those nipples will toughen, and soon it won't hurt as much. You might not believe it during week 3, but someday you'll love nursing, and someday after that you'll really miss it.

Check out this oh, so beautiful post from another mom (Metropolitan Mama) who endured the pain for her baby.

Breastfeeding can hurt. It's not always your fault. It's SO WORTH IT!

1 comment:

  1. Update: Ben is preparing for a growth and has begun nursing every hour or 2 at night. Yippee! From 8 hour stretches to this. Anyway, my nipples are definitely getting sore. One of them is even getting tiny scabs so there must be blood involved. Point is, he's no amateur nurser and neither am I. When nursing is so frequent, you can't help but feel some discomfort

    ReplyDelete